Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The real option fitted:
Check it out:The Option as Fitted
Old 02-09-2005, 07:53 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

After some serious thinking I decieded to hold off on the order untill I see what this contraption looks like. (Sunset is a week away from getting these kits and Jeff was kind enough to give me some time to think about it before they arrive at the parts dept). Shipping for the spare wheel to CA is $28 ground UPS. I know a lot of you folks (including myself) are very interested in what this contraption looks like but I just need more info from Porsche on this before jumping in. Whats the actual weight of it? How much trunk space will remain? Directions for the install? Porsche does not have any instructions or specifications that jeff at Sunset Porsche is aware of to date so I'm holding off until further notice. Sorry folks.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
gradyex
Racer

Thumbs up

It's MJones's post that did it. After seeing that photo I called it a day! LOL!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will probably look something like this 996 trunk minus the Cab windstop in additional pocket.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 PM
gradyex
Racer

I just got off the phone with Jeff at Sunset Porsche to cancel my order for the collapseable spare tire for my 997S (see previous post) and was happy to get some good updated news. Because this is all so new there was some confusion with the information he received yesterday regarding this part. Apparently the spare for the 997 will be very similiar (if not identical) to the 996 (doughnut space saver type) and will not be like the collapsable Cheyenne spare which I understand is a full size tire when inflated and is much heavier. As a result I did not cancel my order and will post an update when it arrives. Cheers!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:05 PM
BD997
Racer

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Are you saying that bottle of fix-a-flat doesn't inspire confidence?
im with him....stick to the can...get the car home and then take care of the flat... cheaper,safer and smarter
Old 02-16-2005, 05:40 AM
gradyex
Racer

Quick update on the 997S spare. Jeff called from Sunset Porsche today as the first one arrived at the dealership so I got a phone call before doing the final shipment because the spare IS the collapsable type similiar to the one on the Chyenne but the rim is a lightweight version. It looks like Porsche did a custom collapsable unit for the 997 so when it arrives I'll give a better description of what it looks like, weights, and where it actually mounts. Should be here in a week or so (via ground) so stay tuned.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:03 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gradyex
Quick update on the 997S spare. Jeff called from Sunset Porsche today as the first one arrived at the dealership so I got a phone call before doing the final shipment because the spare IS the collapsable type similiar to the one on the Chyenne but the rim is a lightweight version. It looks like Porsche did a custom collapsable unit for the 997 so when it arrives I'll give a better description of what it looks like, weights, and where it actually mounts. Should be here in a week or so (via ground) so stay tuned.
Keep us posted with pics!
Don't forget the jack and lugwrench.
What is the p/n for this spare?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:07 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gradyex

Thanks for keeping us informed!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Originally Posted by alin2
gradyex,

Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 AM
gradyex
Racer

OK. Got the spare tire only not the whole kit which should be on its way any day now. Here is the info and hopefully a few photos will follow. The wheel part number stamped on the rim is: 996-362-120-02 but on my invoice the part # reads: 996-362-020-02 (this number is also stamped on the box bar code that the tire arrived in). The tire itself is made in Holland and is collapseable. The rim is alloy, painted red, and made in Germany. I pumped up the tire to check for leaks and there were none. Also when pumped the tires diameter matches my cars as well as the bolt pattern. I plan on actually installing it when the jack arrives just to check and see if the brakes (turbo S ones) clear. By the looks of it there should be no problems. Tire size reads: 185/60 - 17 93 P. Also 5.5 x 17 is stamped on the outside of the rim. You do not need a compressor (there is one already by the "fix a flat bottle" in the trunk). Although I don't have the complete kit yet the tire easily fits in the front trunk compartment (hopefully I will be able to secure it when the rest of the kit arrives (of course I don't expect directions). My thinking is that this is the same spare that a 996 C4S comes with but that is just speculation. The tire weight is 30 lbs even (without jack, etc). Expect to loose 1/2 of your trunk space unless I'm totally wrong on the instllation of this? Any folks have a 2004 C4S that would like to compare notes or give a few tips on the installation procedure? Here are some photo's. Cheers.
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2005, 09:10 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How much does that assembly weigh? Is there a mounting kit that will come with it?
What is your plan for stowage?
The C4S/Turbo fit flat in a well at the bottom of the trunk.
I wonder if that is the same wheel with a cover that was mounted in the back seat ...previously seen HERE

Thanks for being an early adopter
Old 02-23-2005, 07:23 AM
gradyex
Racer

Alrighty then, got the rest of the "kit" today. All parts are 996 so this spare was born long ago but it works with the 997 and 997S. I personally tested it and the front "turbo" brakes clear as will the rear (with room to spare, no pun intended). As far as mounting, I believe this tire is supposed to lay flat in the trunk but because of the "Bose" option there is an amp in the way so I just used my imagination (please see photos). Very simple except if you have the CD changer option as this might get in the way. I personally don't have or care for that option. Alternately you could mount it (see 2nd photo) and it stays in place without any mounting brackets. The kit comes with (1) scissors jack (a must have lightweight item) part#996 721 211 00 (2) Tire boot or "doggie bag" to put the beast in your car and not dirty the leather (the rear tires are huge and heavy and may not fit in the front trunk). part #996 361 521 00 (3) threaded bolt (useless, not even my local dealer can figure it out) Part# 999 571 67430 (4) emergency wheel insert (you could stick the tools in the yellow bag that also comes along and pass on this too part #996 722 101 00. Things you will need (stuff I didn't get). (1) lug nut wrench (Griots sells one for $15.00 with the socket) and (2) Bungie cord, (priceless). here are some photos, Jeff can set you up (see above posts) if you deceide that this is the way you want to go. The spare is alloy and weights approx 30 lbs. Your trunk space will of course be reduced by 1/2. Everyone will just have to weight the pluses and minuses and make up their own minds. I am glad I have it and will probably use it for long trips or possibly everyday. I sure wouldn't use it if i were tracking the car (I think the CD changer is dead weight)! Think that just about covers this, good luck folks! Forgive my spelling as the spellchecker on my browser never works!
Attached Images      
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Interesting Solution...
Also when pumped the tires diameter matches my cars
Did you measure it, or eyeball it? I ask this because the OD of the 19" tires is 1/2" larger than the previous 18". That 1/2" could create havoc with the PSM with wheels rolling at dis-similar speeds. Mount it up and go for a spin, let us know.
(3) threaded bolt (useless, not even my local dealer can figure it out) Part# 999 571 67430
It's a locater stud, not so important with steel rotors, but really important to use with PCCB, you do not want to have the wheel come in contact with the PCCB rotor as they are fragile and can be damaged.
if you have the CD changer option as this might get in the way.
Not in the way since it is mounted in the cubby where the Nav DVD drive is located.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Uh, better slam on the brakes!

I assumed this was a 997 spare.

If it's a 996 spare there's alot more research to conduct.

The difference in diameters will PROBABLY create havoc and possibly damage the electronics of the drive train.

I don't know enough about it to be sure: but I would NOT use that spare until I got absolute assurance from Porsche that it is okay.

Just a guess but I doubt they would approve it.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire for 997?