Notices

Anyone just throw a tarp over their car for the winter?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Anyone just throw a tarp over their car for the winter?

Still looking for storage space but not coming up with much. Anyone put the car cover on, take out the battery and let the snow pile up? I know its not optimal but hey, what could really go wrong??
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Paint scratches, that's what. At least use a proper cover - it should be natural fibres on the inside. But aside from that, there's nothing really wrong with outdoor storage. I think you might find things like your cabrio top wearing out sooner due to the extreme cold, and the cold isn't good for summer tires (the rubber compound vulcanizes, much like a hockey puck - I store my track tires inside over the winter). But aside from that, probably not much wrong with it.

I do know of a cheap storage space. Upside is it's $300 for the entire winter, and it's heated to about 5C. Downside is it's just outside London, so 2 hours from Toronto. You can get access during the winter with advance notice to get something, or just to start it up and let it run for a while, but you can't work on your car there. My dad and I have stored cars there for years.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Wash it form every angle, then give it a good coat of wax and don't cover it. It will be just fine. Better leave it un covered then to cover it. If covered, the dirt and wind will scratch the paint. Pull the battery, pump up the tires to 40psi and fill the tank to the rim (add some fuel stabilezer if you want) and that's it. Whaterver you do, DO NOT park it over grass or dirt, concrete/asphalt is the best but gravel is and alternative too if you have no choice.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for a storage space, friend has openings. It's in Scarborough (401 & Birchmount rd. area), heated and secure. Call Mario at (416) 752-7280 ($150 a month).

I would get a cover for sure as a tarp is not the best.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
vern1
Drifting

I do have a quality car cover which is supposed to be waterproof (but I usually find water under the cover, presumably from condensation). The cover is custom fit so it doesnt really flap around at all and as soon as we get a bit of snow it wont move at all. I think I'd feel better with it covered.

I have a 3 car driveway just no garage so it would be on asphalt. As far as the cold, the garage I had last year wasnt heated (did have electricity to plug in my battery tender) so not sure that would change much. I have new Sumitomos that I was going to mount in the next week or so but i guess i could get these mounted next spring if it makes a difference.

I may give Mario a call though.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

What's the cover made of? The problem here is that if it's nylon, polyester, whatever, and you've got moisture inside, it's trapped. If it's natural and breathable, moisture will come and go, just as it would in the summer if you were driving it, which I wouldn't be worried about. It's the trapped stuff that bothers me.

Last winter I bought a car jacket - zips up to almost airtight (though there's a tiny area for air to get in and out where the zipper closes). I put a cloth car cover over the car first, then tossed the 6 pouches of silica salt the carbag comes with underneath the car, then zipped the whole thing up and put it on car dollies so I could move it around easily. I did all this because it was parked in our garage, with our van coming in and out all winter, bringing in moisture and salt. I found this preferable to leaving it out in the driveway all winter.

The only reason I kept it here was to work on it. This winter I don't have any big projects planned so it'll go away in the barn near London.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
vern1
Drifting

It wasnt a cheap cover but i expect it is not a natural fabric either ie some type of coated polyesther which gives it its water resistance. However i am not sure what type of natural breathable fabric you are referring to? Do you mean like a cotton cover? It would provide some scratch protect but you would just have a (frozen) wet blanket on your car all winter - not sure that is what you want?

I think with any/most covers you are going to get moisture coming up from underneath in the winter regardless so you either need to accept that or go coverless.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Bryan Henry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have room for one of the portable tent type garages.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
cover it. If covered, the dirt and wind will scratch the paint. Pull the battery, pump up the tires to 40psi
40?? I'm already at 40psi on rears and thats slightly under rated (44) for driving!

Someone talked about a barn? I was told a story last weekend about Porsche's in barns for the winter months and mice eating wiring... Not a happy ending.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Christien
Race Car

No matter where you store your car you should protect against mice. Bounce dryer sheets in the interior not only help keep the car smelling fresh over the winter, they're a deterrent against mice (they dislike the smell). Stretch a rubber glove or a condom over the tailpipe (they'll eat paper towel or a rag). Stuff like that.

44 psi is your spec inflation pressure? Are you sure? I've never heard of pressure that high on any car. It's usually 36-38 cold, and at the track we usually run anywhere from 25-30 cold/30-36 hot.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

i put my tires at 50 for storage on the car.
I recently went to toyo website and saw that for the r compound tires they recommend letting air out to half normal pressure. I've never done this before. I do store the r's inside as well. I did let air out to about 15 psi...just thought I would pass that on. for tail pipes steel wool is best, rubber glove and condom will trap moisture inside unless you use silica gel (btw Lee Valley sells the silica gel)
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where your can buy a Porsche car cover without getting one from the US?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
88 951S
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a storage building that is quite resonable and is located just outside of St.Catharines. It is my parents neighbour who is a retired chicken farmer with dry, concrete floor storage space. I am not sure of his prices but I do know that he is very, very reasonable. PM me if interested.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Wash it form every angle, then give it a good coat of wax and don't cover it. It will be just fine. Better leave it un covered then to cover it. If covered, the dirt and wind will scratch the paint. Pull the battery, pump up the tires to 40psi and fill the tank to the rim (add some fuel stabilezer if you want) and that's it. Whaterver you do, DO NOT park it over grass or dirt, concrete/asphalt is the best but gravel is and alternative too if you have no choice.
Mine is kept in the garage, but just wondered why it should not be parked on grass? moisture?

I park on some rubber mats in the garage with a car cover, full tank with stabilizer, battery tender and car cover. That's it.

I would agree with those who state no tarp. Wash, wax, and a tight fitting outdoor car cover is what I would do.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
44 psi is your spec inflation pressure? Are you sure? I've never heard of pressure that high on any car. It's usually 36-38 cold, and at the track we usually run anywhere from 25-30 cold/30-36 hot.
Nope - 36/44. And in fact - I had a talk with a tech last week that did a session at a tire seminar where they stated that the higher wear factor on 996/997 rear tires 'in the center of the tire' was due to in *some* cases, under inflated tires. It was explained that at high speed (didn't say how 'high) that the center of the tire is 'growing' and there by wearing at a faster rate. (Perhaps track days?)

He totally recommended everyone doing track days take tire temps at all four corners and three points on each tire. He said - 'Run to tire temp's at track days - NOT tire presures.

Porsche's factory "recommended" pressures for the 996 are 36/44 front rear
https://rennlist.com/996_faq/b.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone just throw a tarp over their car for the winter?