997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnt clutch smell is it normal ?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
haivle
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt clutch smell is it normal ?

hi , i just took my car out for a bit of a run today since being stored for 2 months already. once the oil temp warmed up i started to drive it hard my shifting was hard so i was wondering is the burnt clutch smell after hard shifting normal for u guys or am i driving it wrong?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

You should not normally smell that at all. You're possibly out of practice?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You shouldn't be smelling your clutch burning. Unless you're revving the engine and slipping the clutch on starts or between shifts, a quick hard shift with proper clutch engagement won't cause the clutch to smell. Porsches can have interesting odors after a hard run, from cosmoline on newer cars, rubber dust kicked up on the exhaust, a bit of oil on a hot engine, or brakes, for example. Are you sure what you're smelling is burning clutch? If so, not good.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM
haivle
Banned

i guess im a new porsche/manual drive . so when i shift should it be smooth? because im practicing to shift fast which im very new at. but does the burning smell hurt? or is it normal for bad clutching/shifting
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
haivle
Banned

well im pretty sure its the clutch because i had an m3 and when i slipped the clutch it had the same smell.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then I guess we could say that burning clutch smell is normal for the way you shift...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
i guess im a new porsche/manual drive . so when i shift should it be smooth? because im practicing to shift fast which im very new at. but does the burning smell hurt? or is it normal for bad clutching/shifting
Yes it should be smooth. Make sure you have your technique down with smooth starts and shifts at slower speeds where you're passengers heads are not bobbing around before you start trying to do quick shifts. Shifting properly requires a proper rhythm between the amount of throttle input you are giving the car and the speed of your shift and clutch engagement. Don't try shifting fast when you motoring along in traffic at part throttle; that's the time for smooth, relatively slow clutch and shifter action. When done properly, the shifts should be as smooth as an automatic tranny and your passengers should barely notice. When you are giving the car more throttle your clutch work should be quicker; if you hold it in too long after upshifting it will have to slip when you re-engage it. Shifting properly is an art that must be practiced.

If you are slipping the clutch too much with poor starts or shifts it creates additional friction which makes heat and literally causes the lining of the clutch surface to "burn". This will definitely shorten the life of your clutch. Both my kids learned to drive with manuals and honestly, as much as they struggled at first, they never burned clutches. You must be dishing out some fairly serious abuse with high rpms and lots of slippage etc. to be smelling your clutch. Go slow and save the fast shifting until after you get a better hang of it. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
haivle
Banned

i guess. but im trying to learn how to shift fast with these cars but its really hard i always seem to have the timing a little off any techniques ?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM
haivle
Banned

thanks for the input i'll be doing it slow first until i can shift smooth then start going fast, thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been driving manuals for years, and I think I sometimes smell the clutch when I park the car in our garage. It's possible it's another smell, though.

The driveway is sloped and the garage is a tight fit. I don't rev it that high, but I've got to let the clutch out slowly so I don't hit the shelves. I don't notice the smell any other time, only in the confines of the garage, which makes sense, I guess.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

As with any racing advice:
Smooth first, Fast second.

It's like sex - if you don't have technique, you're not going to impress with speed.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=docfink;8315297]I've been driving manuals for years, and I think I sometimes smell the clutch when I park the car in our garage. It's possible it's another smell, though.

The driveway is sloped and the garage is a tight fit. I don't rev it that high, but I've got to let the clutch out slowly so I don't hit the shelves. I don't notice the smell any other time, only in the confines of the garage, which makes sense, I guess.[/QUOTE

Hot engine smells like cosmoline and oil. The harder you run it the more you will notice it after parking. This is a good smell. Burnt clutch is very different and noticeable from inside the car while driving. Not so good.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
thanks for the input i'll be doing it slow first until i can shift smooth then start going fast, thanks
Maybe get an experienced driver to ride with you and check your technique as well as the smell - it may not be clutch smell. In all the years of driving manuals, I don't recall ever burning a clutch or smelling it - even when I sucked at it and was just learning. My car comes in with a fairly bold odor if I drive it around aggressively in Sport+. And I hope the clutch isn't slipping. I think it is just HOT engine - the fans usually blow a while too afterwards.

Never aim for speed when learning, just smoothness - you don't want your date distracted by lumpy shifting while you are trying to be cool in you car. And a quick jerky shift is pointless during normal driving.

After you get so that every shift is smooth, being fast when necessary will come second nature.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you guys all hate on PDK?

Just push the button!

Phil
Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Just push the button!
speaking of....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: burnt clutch smell is it normal ?