Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Ride height

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Ride height

Does anyone know what the ride height should be on a 987. Even with 19" it just seems like there is a ton of clearance between the tire and fender.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 AM
awai08
Advanced

I've got PASM with my 987s, which lowers the car (from stock) "just" 10mm. Along with the 5mm spacers, its stance is quite proper with 19" wheels. Clearance isn't any more of an issue than stock. Performance is spectacular.

I know what you mean. Aesthetically, the tire sidewall should be no less than the wheel gap. That said, I'm not a fashion junkie. Form follows function, ultimately.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a bit of fender gap from the factory. It works for 80% of the market they sell to. The way to rid the gap is by lowering springs. BTW, ride height should not change whether you are going with a +1 or -1 setup.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...de-height.html
Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got PASM with my 987s, which lowers the car (from stock) "just" 10mm. Along with the 5mm spacers, its stance is quite proper with 19" wheels. Clearance isn't any more of an issue than stock. Performance is spectacular.
Curious, who reccomended to put 5mm spacers on?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some cars, such as the RS60 came with them as standard equipment.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Are these at all 4 corners and it won't cause problems with PSM. Is it true that a spring change or other suspension change requiring an alignment, needs a laser system to also assess a steering angle sensor, thus limiting alignment shops? Sounds like $$$$$ paid for 1/2 day required to corner balance and align the track car.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 AM
awai08
Advanced

I did, of course! It was an option I checked off on my order list.

Last edited by awai08; 04-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Are these at all 4 corners and it won't cause problems with PSM. Is it true that a spring change or other suspension change requiring an alignment, needs a laser system to also assess a steering angle sensor, thus limiting alignment shops? Sounds like $$$$$ paid for 1/2 day required to corner balance and align the track car.
Get a good alignment shop (post your location and others can suggest/recommend) otherwise, your new setup will simply ruin your tires. Typical alignment cost is $150 - 300 (dealer).
You would only need corner balance if you install coil-overs... And unless you're racing (i.e. you get paid/sponsored for driving your car on the track), you really don't need coil-overs.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by awai08
I did, of course! It was an option I checked off on my order list.
I did the same, as well. It makes it a little easier to clean the barrel of the wheel too, and get the calipers cleaned. The extra<1/4 inch makes the difference.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Get a good alignment shop (post your location and others can suggest/recommend) otherwise, your new setup will simply ruin your tires. Typical alignment cost is $150 - 300 (dealer).
You would only need corner balance if you install coil-overs... And unless you're racing (i.e. you get paid/sponsored for driving your car on the track), you really don't need coil-overs.
Funny after reading the April Excellence article and Leh Keen "saying the spyder was dangerous" as he spun it twice do to bottoming out the struts at apex going over transitional pavement and driving my track car over the weekend, I have concluded shortened springs are not the direction to go.

My track car, heavily sprung with tenders up front is more compliant than the 987 S non- PASM suspension. Coil overs on the 987 with tenders up front would allow greater compliance over uneven pavement, offer adjustability and allow proper ride height settings. Of course camber plates would be part of the equation with bar adjustments to dial out the ever annoying understeer.
The problem is I have been down this road and not sure if it's an expense I want to do, but it would be a great ride.

Quick Reply: 987 Ride height