Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery and opening the hood

Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Key being stuck in the ignition is what happens when the battery is dead.
Ah, I missed that
Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Every 997 owner should do this for themselves, but hopefully, not when they are forced to do it. A friend of mine left her key in the ignition of her late model Boxster--and it did what Porsche says it will do--it depleted the battery.

I simply brought along my car/battery charger, hooked up the negative to the door latch, and the positive side to the red terminal inside the fuse box. Plugged that into the 120V wall socket and then simply actuated the front trunk release (electronic). After that, I gained access to the car's battery and charged it up for awhile. Done.

That red terminal isn't that hard to grab with your fingers.
Dan,
Did you use the porsche battery trickle charger using the + and - leads? If so, could this same process be done through the cigarette lighter?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Steve
Dan,
Did you use the porsche battery trickle charger using the + and - leads? If so, could this same process be done through the cigarette lighter?
Porsche battery maintainer through the cigarette lighter doesn't work. Best to use the fuse box plug and an extra battery if available. If not then jumper cables. Don't jump the car to start, just to get enough juice to open the hood and recharge or replace battery.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Techbod
Track Day

I had a balky PCM that kept cycling off/on/restart/fail while driving. Parked the car in my garage, with nose tucked in under overhanging storage bin. Overnight, battery was depleted. Couldn't activate trunk release, nor open trunk far enough to access battery for jump even if it DID open.

Thanks to PDK, I couldn't simlly throw it in neutral and roll it back a few feet to access battery for jump.

So, before following fuse box jump instructions from manual, I had to phone roadside assist to talk me through manual override of PDK to move gear selector from P to N.

For future reference, it's done via a small hole in the storage tray in front of the shifter. Peel up the rubber grip tray insert. Insert a small flathead screwdriver and press downward on a hidden lever, then slide gear selector to N.

From there - simple rollback, fuse box jump, open trunk, battery jump start, and drive immediately to BH Porsche Service where faulty PCM diagnosis resulted in a total replacement of the system. Problem solved!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Porsche battery maintainer through the cigarette lighter doesn't work. Best to use the fuse box plug and an extra battery if available. If not then jumper cables. Don't jump the car to start, just to get enough juice to open the hood and recharge or replace battery.
Understandable it wouldn't. Work right away, but lets say I left overnight to charge up batery, I should then theoretically have enough juice to open hood right?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Techbod
I had a balky PCM that kept cycling off/on/restart/fail while driving. Parked the car in my garage, with nose tucked in under overhanging storage bin. Overnight, battery was depleted. Couldn't activate trunk release, nor open trunk far enough to access battery for jump even if it DID open.

Thanks to PDK, I couldn't simlly throw it in neutral and roll it back a few feet to access battery for jump.

So, before following fuse box jump instructions from manual, I had to phone roadside assist to talk me through manual override of PDK to move gear selector from P to N.

For future reference, it's done via a small hole in the storage tray in front of the shifter. Peel up the rubber grip tray insert. Insert a small flathead screwdriver and press downward on a hidden lever, then slide gear selector to N.

From there - simple rollback, fuse box jump, open trunk, battery jump start, and drive immediately to BH Porsche Service where faulty PCM diagnosis resulted in a total replacement of the system. Problem solved!
While you had the manual out you could have found this and saved a call:

PDK selector lever emergency release

In the event of an electronics failure, the selector lever must be released for towing.
1. Lift up the rubber mat in the oddments tray.
2. Insert a screwdriver in the opening and press down until you feel it reach the limit position. The selector lever can now be moved to position N.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead battery and opening the hood