Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problems: Guidance Appreciated

Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Problems: Guidance Appreciated

Hello fellow Rennlisters

Recently acquired a 99 996 cabriolet. Having an issue with the convertible top.

Earlier on today, and once maybe a week ago, I went to close the top and it did not close all the way so I had to manually pull the top forward slightly so that it would clip into the correct place.

So today I dropped the top and drove it. When I got to my destination, I had to provide some assistance again to close. When I attempted to open by turning the key in the door as well as using the rocker switch, the rear compartment opens up, however the top does not move at all.

So I searched and saw that the engine compartment needs to be shut completely. I double checked and closed it again to be sure. Still, same issue. When I attempt to open, hear a few clicks and rear compartment opens, but nothing. Convertible top light is also flashing on the dash.

Also, windows don't move up after they come down initially for the unsuccessful open and the interior light seems to get a power drain.

Any suggestions appreciated
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on convertible Hydraulic fluid or it could need re-alignment.

Originally Posted by AckyE
Hello fellow Rennlisters

Recently acquired a 99 996 cabriolet. Having an issue with the convertible top.

Earlier on today, and once maybe a week ago, I went to close the top and it did not close all the way so I had to manually pull the top forward slightly so that it would clip into the correct place.

So today I dropped the top and drove it. When I got to my destination, I had to provide some assistance again to close. When I attempted to open by turning the key in the door as well as using the rocker switch, the rear compartment opens up, however the top does not move at all.

So I searched and saw that the engine compartment needs to be shut completely. I double checked and closed it again to be sure. Still, same issue. When I attempt to open, hear a few clicks and rear compartment opens, but nothing. Convertible top light is also flashing on the dash.

Also, windows don't move up after they come down initially for the unsuccessful open and the interior light seems to get a power drain.

Any suggestions appreciated
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I found that my headliner was binding one of the little "wings" and preventing them from moving hence the rest of the procedure was halted.

If you are low on fluid it is a fairly simple fix. Do a search to find the tutorial. Here is the link but you need to be a member to access. http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...d-step-by-step The hardest part is getting the correct fluid. It is a synthetic hydraulic fluid. I used the VW fluid. It was about $18 for the bottle. You do not need a syringe. I used a short piece of rubber tubing and inserted it in the bottle while holding it by the top. When it was inserted enough I put my finger over the top to create suction and inserted the tube into the resoivoir and released so the fluid would flow. Like you did with a straw in your soda as a kid. One of those flexible straws may even work. Just put a rag under it as you only know it is full when it starts weeping from the hole. It is an easy fix.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

OK, so I am attempting the fluid level fix. Does that screw take ages to come out? I have been fiddling with it for 10 minutes and it still is just spinning, not coming out. I will keep at it, just think hopefully there is not something that will prevent me from removing the screw.

Also, some posts state I can use Pentosin CHF 11s from Auto Zone. Is this OK to use?

Hope to provide further update when I can get that damn screw off !
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

As jwex16 mentioned also check the alignment of the "wings" on each side.

I had mine get stuck after I was messing around with the screw that tightens the hardtop. Using an allen wrench will get you access to the screw and you can move the wings accordingly. If they touch any part of the top during the movement process the car will stop everything in it's tracks.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

I just topped of my hydraulics last week using the directions from Renntech. It was very straightforward, and my top operates great now. The next time, I will get a curved dental irrigation syringe for the job. The tubing method was a bit clumsy. Put down lots of rags to catch spills.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

So I managed to get the screw off the system pump. I lost the washer however in my quest to prevent the screw from dropping into the abyss. I did some calling around but nowhere carried the Pentosin hydraulic fluid. I am a bit weary of using anything else that was not endorsed by RL folks either. Ended up making a call to the dealer. he said they have 250ml bottle for $34. Well, I had another look and the fluid was actually right at the max mark. (And the top had been replaced last year from PO). SO I played around with the rocker switch a bit more. And everything seemed to work So I put it back together.

However, I am now faced with two more isues:

1. The windows that are rolling up/down very slowly. Possibly a weak battery?
2. When I try to close the top using the key in door lock, the windows do not go up after top has closed.

So one thing has led to another.

Well, this was the fist time I had attampted anythign on the P Car, so have some mixed feelings. Maybe I fixed something and messed up something else?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

It sounds like you may need to do a system "hard reset". From what I recall, make sure you have the radio code, then disconnect the battery. You may be able to do a search this forum to find out specifics. May be something about it in the owners manual.

Also, others have posted ways to reset windows.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:37 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

I tried the reset method of disconnecting the battery and then putting it back on. Radio code was no problem. Drivers side window is very slow to move up or down, compared to passenger side. Possible a regulator issue? The thing is the windows worked just fine until I started having issues with the convertible top. I may take a drive out to get my battery tested, in case that may be a factor. Doesn't hurt. And I get to go for a spin .
If thats not it, what are the next steps to troubleshooting? Or head over to my Indy? Prefer to get these things worked on myself as $$ are hard to come by nowadays.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

If you did not already buy and install another washer do it.
Low battery could cause some of your problems.
Are you opening and closing the top with the engine running or off?
The top and windows are big energy consumers.
I have a new healthy battery and even with the engine running you can see the power draw in the light and voltmeter.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

I have been trying the top both with and without the engine running. I'll be pickuing up a washer soon and getting the battery tested also. Maybe I need to take it for a spirited drive and give the battery time to build up some energy. Worth a try, since I just need a reason to go for a spin.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AckyE
Worth a try, since I just need a reason to go for a spin.
Funny you mention that. I look for every opportunity to take mine out. The other night, I took my 996 out at the request of my better half to the 7-11 to support her habit, something I haven't done in the prior 30 yrs of our marriage. With the sweet sound of the Fister D's it's poetry in motion.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Funny you mention that. I look for every opportunity to take mine out. The other night, I took my 996 out at the request of my better half to the 7-11 to support her habit, something I haven't done in the prior 30 yrs of our marriage. With the sweet sound of the Fister D's it's poetry in motion.
Looks like she supports your P Car habit, least you could do is return the favor
Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

So another update in the event there may be other suggestions:
- Checked the hydraulic level, it is full. The top was replaced by PO about a year ago so I expect whoever they used to get this done must have ensured this was topped up.
- Located Pentosin at the MB dealer, but is it worth it if the fluid level is at the top?
- There is nothing binding the wings form what I can tell.
- The top works occasionally and on occasion does not. Tried it this morning, no luck, using both key in door and switch. This afternoon both methods work. What the hell is going on? Why is it so tempremental?

Driving me nuts! My concern is that I dont want to get stuck somewhere if it starts pouring and I cant get the top to close.

Any other ideas appreciated. I may end up taking it to the Indy at some point.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Intermittent parking brake switch? Is the parking light on the dash coming on when the top does not work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problems: Guidance Appreciated